Information about the Programme
The programme is 8 sessions and will typically be run over 8 consecutive weeks- each session is 2 hours long. All sessions will include a structured presentation as well as mindfulness exercises and practice. Information on the latest research on mindfulness, its benefits and how the brain works will be integrated into each session. Participants will be encouraged to practice mindfulness exercises during the week to build on the skills learnt during sessions.
2019: Dates of next courses
Term 1: Wednesday 20th February to Wednesday 10th April 2019, 6.30 to 8.30 pm at Kelson Community House, 5A Timaru Gr, Kelson, Lower Hutt.
Term 2: Wednesday 8th May to Wednesday 28th Jume 2019, 6.30 to 8.30 pm at Kelson Community House, 5A Timaru Gr, Kelson, Lower Hutt.
$80 which includes a 100+ page workbook
The following is a summary of the session content:
Session 1: Attention and the Present Moment - The first session is an introduction to the most important building blocks of mindfulness.
- What is mindfulness, including its history
- The five core components of mindfulness
- The practice of mindfulness
- Being in the present moment- what does it mean
- Understanding the nature of thoughts
- How to mindfully deal with thoughts
- Understanding attention
- Mindfulness exercises: Body Scan, Mindful Listening
Session 2: Automaticity - In this session you will learn about the automatic nature of your thoughts and how these thoughts in turn automatically create emotions.
- What is automatism- pros and cons
- The brain and automatic cycles of thinking and behavior
- Where do feelings fit with these automatic cycles
- How to change automatic patterns through mindfulness
- Mindfulness exercises: Mindful eating, Body Scan, Seated Meditation
Session 3: Judgement - This session will focus on the judgmental nature of the mind, its problematic aspects and how to remove these obstacles to “open awareness”.
- Understanding the judgmental nature of the mind
- Characteristics of judgements and how they impact on reality
- Understanding how judgements can create inner conflicts
- Using mindfulness to reduce the effects of judgements
- Mindfulness exercises: Judgement Meditation, Benefit Finding, Seated Meditation
Session 4: Acceptance - This session aims to clarify the essence of acceptance by learning to apply acceptance to difficult emotions and by explaining the goal of acceptance.
- Understanding the nature of resistance
- The consequences of resistance
- Using mindfulness to change patterns of resistance
- Misconceptions about accepting difficult situations
- Mindfulness exercises: Resistance and Acceptance Exercise, Seated Meditation, Three-Minute Breathing Space Meditation
Session 5: Goals - Mindfulness is presented as the key for finding balance between being in the present moment and planning for the future.
- The benefits of goals
- Goal related pitfalls
- Mindfulness and goals
- An attitude of gratitude
- Mindfulness exercises: Goals and Expectations Exercise, Seated Meditation, Three-Minute Breathing Space Meditation
Session 6: Compassion - We will examine the inner critic part of the mind and learn how to effectively cultivate a friendly and caring relationship with the self.
- Understanding your inner-critic
- The negative health impacts of an unrestrained inner-critic
- Developing self-compassion
- Mindfulness and compassion
- Mindfulness exercises: Loving Kindness Meditation, Visualization- the Compassionate Self, Seated Meditation
Session 7: The Ego- This session aims to increase understanding of the Ego and the difference between the self as a story and the self as an observer.
- What is the Ego- characteristics of the Ego
- Building the Ego
- Expression of the Ego
- Beyond the Ego
- Mindfulness and the Ego
- Mindfulness exercise: The Observer Meditation
Session 8: Integration - In this final session we will look at how all covered mindfulness processes are connected and we will focus on ways that you can continue integrating mindfulness into daily life.
- Integrating all of the components of mindfulness
- Integrating mindfulness into daily lifeMindfulness exercises: Body Scan, Mindful Reflection, Your Personal Mindfulness Plan